From Our Blog 2 Yours - May 30th
Where would you go if money were no object and there was a neverending supply of gas?
Well, I would fly to Norway, and locate where my grandfather (my father's father) came from. Supposedly, the last name I always knew him by, was not the name he was born with (I guess in earlier years, if you moved to a new farm/township, you took on that name as your last name - or so I have been told that is what happened). I would then travel around the Netherlands (the hubby really wants to go to Amsterdam!!), and finally, make my way to Ireland, to see where my grandmother (my father's mother) came from. If I wanna dream extravagantly, I would dream that the kids were grown up and I could convince my husband to take a cruise around the world in a sailboat, the way my grandparents did many times!!
Sadly, my grandmother just passed away yesterday. She had suffered from Alzheimer's for the past 6 years, it was discovered shortly after my grandfather passed away in 2001. These are the first family deaths that have hit me the hardest. I grew up spending time with them, camping at the cabin, fishing with my grandfather, playing on the swing he built for my brother and I outside the cabin. Staying up late at night, playing Monopoly, Scrabble and card games, making cookies with Grandma. I am sad that I never got to say goodbye to either of them (the last time I saw them was my wedding day in May 2001), but I take comfort that they are together at last. And I will always treasure the memories we made together.
No comments:
Post a Comment